Your local resource hub for social well-being services
34 McDougall Street,
Phone: (03) 443 7799
Email Front Office: email@example.com
Email Kate: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: 9-5pm, Monday - Friday
NZ Charities number: CC20120
Peer pressure – we all experience peer pressure but are we equipped to handle it ourselves and importantly, with respect to teens, alcohol, devices and other drugs that will come their way?
What is our answer to this pressure? What can parents and caregivers do to support teens as they grow up? How can the community support families navigate these important teenage years?
Building on previous sessions, the Wanaka Alcohol Group hosted an evening with Dr. Damian Scarf, senior lecturer from the Department of Psychology at the University of Otago and a selection of local social support groups. Topics explored were:
- The challenges of peer pressure, self-esteem, social media, and alcohol/other drugs.
- Health Risks and Social Implications including youth brain development.
- Practical parenting tips and the importance of communication.
- The latest research and how it relates to our local scene.
"Money, money, money… in a rich man’s world"
Community Networks provides the following services free of charge:
The Community Foodbank:
- This can be accessed by referral and self-referral at any time during pur operating hours
Arrange appointments with:
- Wheels to Dunstan Bus (transfers to Dunstan & Dunedin Hospitals)
- IRD (visit monthly)
- Community Law (visit monthly)
- Justices of the Peace (visit twice weekly)
- Social workers for all ages and issues
- The Companionship Service for Older People
- IT Training for Older People
- Volunteering Central - for opportunities to volunteer in your local community
- Budget Advice and Financial Capability Mentors
- Subsidised GP vouchers
- Total Mobility Scheme (subsidised local transport)
- Local counselling and mental health services, including subsidised counselling
- Work and Income
- Legal Aid
- Support groups
- Health professionals
- A computer for public use to access government websites such as Work and Income (including printing)
- Rooms for hire (including a meeting room)