Community Networks Wanaka is your local resource hub for social wellbeing services and community development.
- A 'Heartlands' Service Centre - We facilitate regular visits from Government and Non-government organisations to offer services to the community. These include IRD, Community Law, Justices of the Peace, Volunteering Central, Budget Advice, and Careers Services. We also hold an extensive range of social support information such as Immigration forms, Work and Income forms, and details of health professionals and counselling services.
- Facilitation and Coordination - We coordinate a range of activities and services including a School Holiday Club, Community Food Bank, Meals on Wheels, Wheels to Dunstan Bus Service, Total Mobility Vouchers, and a local interagency meeting of social service providers.
- Strategic Community Development - We work alongside the community to identify gaps in services and advocate on their behalf to increase social capital. Examples include: Wanaka Alcohol Group, Life Matters Suicide Prevention Group, Champion for Older People Group.
- Rooms for hire - We have rooms and office space available for hire for business and not-for-profit organisations.
Upcoming Events / Projects
Understanding the early signs of memory loss and supporting independence and quality of life
Donna Watt, Community Support Officer for Alzheimer’s Otago will be speaking in Wanaka on this topic, Thursday 30th March,11am - 12pm. While specifically aimed at supporting Wanaka’s Companionship for Older People service, interested members of the public are welcome to attend. The topics covered will include:
- Symptoms of concern - and recognising normal signs of ageing
- Ways to support someone experiencing early signs of dementia or memory loss
- Ageing well and reducing your risk of dementia
There will be time for questions and discussion. Venue to be confirmed depending on numbers.
Please register for this free talk (by Friday 24th March) by calling Community Networks Wanaka, 03 443 7799 or email email@example.com
Throughout the month of March, Community Networks is fortunate to have some local businesses supporting us through a fun and tasty fundraiser. Thank you to Francesca's Italian Kitchen Wanaka, Wanaka Speights Ale House, Big Fig, Black Peak Gelato, and Mediterranean Market who are generously supporting us with proceeds from one of their dishes/items going towards the coordination of our Meals on Wheels service and our new Companionship for Older People service. Thanks everyone!
Training for Not for Profit and community groups
The Otago Chamber of Commerce, in association with the Otago Community Trust and Community Networks Wanaka, will be running two Training for Not for Profit and community groups in Wanaka on the following topics:
- Stress Resilience (13 March 2017)
- Communication for Managers and Leaders (8 May 2017)
Please note - Not for Profit organisations, clubs and their members qualify for Not for Profit workshops.
For further information or to register:
Contact: Kim Cox
Phone: 0800 42 49 68 / Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost: $40 including GST Payment on registration by cash, cheque, or online to #03 0905 0970271 00
SafeTALK (suicide awareness for everyone)
Suicide is a community concern and prevention starts in the community. Are you interested in becoming more confident in knowing what to do if someone is feeling vulnerable? The SafeTALK workshop helps expand the reach of suicide intervention skills in communities around the world. Open to everyone over 17 yrs.
Date: Wednesday 12 April, 2017
Venue: St Johns, Wanaka
Time: 5.30pm – 8:30pm (supper will be provided)
Bookings/payments /enquiries: contact Community Networks: 03 443 7799 / email@example.com
Payment can be made at 73 Brownston St or bank transfer: 03-1739-0059339-00 (please put your last name and ‘Safetalk’ as reference)
Bookings and payments by Friday 7th April.